Training Course Agendas
All of our training courses are provided at no charge.
These course agendas are a representation of the course material presented for the specific classes. All material is subject to change depending on the specific needs of the clients at each course. Please contact Bryan Research & Engineering for additional information on any training session.
BRE 261: Equipment Rating and Sizing
The Equipment Rating and Sizing course is designed to provide detailed insight into rating and sizing of process equipment
including relief valves, heat exchangers, separators, and columns, along with their implementation in ProMax®.
Attendees will learn:
- Techniques to size and rate:
- Relief Valves
- Heat Exchangers
- Similar Equipment
- Any 100 level course or equivalent experience
- Instructor-led demonstrations
- Hands-on simulation
- Open floor discussion
Installation of ProMax
The first step in all courses is to verify that ProMax is properly installed on each attendee’s computer.
- Section 1: Blocked flow Relief Valve Sizing - This section discusses pressure relief valve sizing, device choice, sizing basics, nozzle models, and how ProMax handles the sizings. An exercise is presented to demonstrate relief sizing for both a butane/pentane mixture and for a crude oil, utilizing API 521 methodology.
- Section 2: Fire case Relief Valve Sizing - A discussion on depressurization, with emphasis on fire-case emergencies. The discussion includes the effect of fire on both wetted and un-wetted surfaces, and heat absorption to liquids. Required inputs to ProMax for a depressurization case are explained.
- Section 3: Control Valves – We will look at how to do basic pressure drop calculations in ProMax using both custom and vendor valves.
- Section 4: Line Sizing – We will look at how to estimate pipeline sizes for inter-plant and short run pipelines.
- Section 5: Separator Sizing – We will look at how to use ProMax to size basic separators.
- Section 6: Heat Exchanger Rating – We will look at how to rate exchangers in ProMax and estimate performance for both Shell and Tube as well as Fin-Fan exchangers.
- Section 7: Column Rating and Sizing - We will review tray and packed column hydraulics, flooding, pressure drops, packing types, and tray types.
- Section 8: Reciprocating Compressors – We will look at how to rate and size reciprocating compressors in ProMax.
Notes About the Agenda:
Our agenda is provided to give the approximate material to be covered in the course,
in the approximate order it will be covered. All courses we provide will be tailored
to the needs of the host company providing the training accommodations, as well as
the needs of the course attendees. Some courses may cover additional topics,
while some may cover less than indicated in the agenda.
Some courses may be shortened to one or two days when represented by a three-day agenda.
These courses will typically cover both process simulation and process optimization topics,
but will exclude several exercises. Please contact our training team here:
or through the consulting engineer for your region, for specific information for any course.